It all happened because I was looking for the downtown Durham Post Office. I had turned right onto Dillard St. and was heading east toward Halloway Street, which is the boundary to the downtown Durham "Rundown Town" (my title- it's really called Braggtown or something.) I see a building I think might be the post office, and I turn my head as a drive by, trying to catch a glimpse of the name on the building. When I turn around, I realize that I am driving into the intersection of Dillard and Halloway on a red light, and that there is another car heading toward me.
So naturally, I slam on my breaks. The kids arent with me, so I am not overly freaked out, and I stop safely, about 20 feet into the intersection and about 20 feet from the car. We're all alive and well at least in my mind.
I hear the other car honking indignantly and then, shockingly, I see 2 car doors open. I think to myself, Seriously? Ya'll are getting out of the car? I didnt come near you..." I hear them screaming obscenities at me, in combinations that I have never heard before. I briefly wonder if they are going to become violent- this is how angry they are. The light turns green, so I proceed, with caution through the intersection.
And they start chasing me.
Yep. They proceed, without caution, to try and chase my car through the intersection. So I just keep driving. I'm sure not going to stop.
as I kept going, and my fear abated, I realized that it WAS my fault. I probably really scared them. And then I started laughing. The very idea that angry people would chase me while i drive away is dumb and funny all at the same time..
I also learned not drive around on Dillard and Halloway in Durham. Thats just dumb.
No comments:
Post a Comment