Friday, June 19, 2009

Advertising on Facebook is not for sissies.

After some glitches with our Facebook Ad experiment, I think we are back on track. I had to come to terms with the idea that our version of a successful ad and Facebook's version of one are 2 seperate ideas. In my version of reality, corporations don't care about money so much as they care about their clients achieving their goals. But in the Facebook world, money is clearly king; if people will pay over a dollar per click (I know, I nearly died too) and get good turnover percentage (clicks based on the number of times an ad appears), then they are clients with the most view time. But fortunately, Facebook and I have reached a happy medium. Our ad maybe doesn't get shown as much, but we get clicks and thus a higher percentage at a more manageable but still outrageous price of 30 cents per click. That makes us happy. Facebook gets our small daily budget and can air higher paying ads at other times which better make then happy (insert finger wagging at Facebook here).

Anyways, after sitting around for a while generally feeling peeved and then frustrated with all of Facebook, I decided to change our demographic target and VOILA! I am back in business. It seems that advertising is not a constant. You have to change things up every now and then to get desired results. That should be a no brainer, but it wasn't for me. So I suppose that in a day or 2 I will have to try and change it around again. So be it. But I wont let big impersonal Facebook intimidate me. I've come too far in this adventure to be intimidated by the internet.

No comments: