Monday, March 2, 2009

Snow in March.

This morning we woke up to another 3 inches of snow. The gym is closed, the post office is closed, schools are closed, I am happily ensconced in my house, incapable of going anywhere I had planned this morning mostly because those places are closed for the morning and maybe all day. I like to think its because we don't have snowplows here in the Triangle.

I wish I could share the sounds I heard with you as I took some pictures outside. The hundreds of birds that inhabit the trees along our property line returned last week, and I have woken up every morning to the happy cacophony of bird screech. This morning was no different, except for all the snow. As I was outside taking pictures of the garden fence, I heard the birds go silent, and I wondered what caused all the happy racket to cease so quickly. And then sleet began pelting me and I made a mad dash for the back porch to protect my camera lens (Note to self- buy UV filter for such occasions). It's amazing how birds sense climate changes and take cover, but humans just run around oblivious to it all.

Here's a small poem from Robert Frost I enjoyed in graduate school. I thought of it this morning as I ran across my backyard at 7 AM, not one of my normal early morning activities (but its equally as weird that I get up early and take pictures), but something that made me feel more alert on a cold dreary day. Keep in mind though, that I don't rue today.

Dust of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me

The dust of snow

From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.

No comments: