I've been thinking about giving up my Facebook because it seems a bit redundant to me. All the people I keep in touch with and want to keep in touch with(and will want to keep in touch with as they move from their various homes to new ones) have blogs and use them. I know everyone else from church, or the neighborhood, and everyone else are students who've pretty much forgotten about me (as they should), or people I don't even know. After that, Facebook is useful keeping in touch with exactly 2 people, a friend in Eastern Europe, who doesn't really use his Facebook, and a friend from high school, with whom I have nothing in common anymore. Those sorts of numbers don't make it worth keeping.
But my biggest gripe with Facebook is that it has really only made the things I hate about myself even more obvious and terrible . If I hear a rumor, I go on Facebook, reading profiles to find out of its true. If I want to avoid responsibility, like putting laundry away, I go on Facebook. And the absolute worst: If I don't feel like talking to someone, or getting to know them (something I have struggled with my whole life), I friend them and then read about their lives rather than talk to them to find out. I've come to loathe Facebook for that. Its set me back socially rather than promote my ability to be social and learn about other people. It's made it more difficult to accomplish the things I need to, or to root out sin and kill it. I have neighbors to get to know, meals to cook, and a house to keep. Facebook isnt helping me to pursue God and enjoy Him forever. And I'm ignoring people around me, rather than talk to them. It's time to reclaim my life in a small way.
2 comments:
Hi Charity,
This is a good post on your thoughts of FB. You are right to do what your heart (God) is telling you to do.
How are you guys? I hope all is well. I so often think of you and Alex wonder how you are and pray a quick prayer for you and other times have a nice long season of prayer for you.
Want you to know that I miss you!
Have a great rest of the week.
Because of our Savior,
Shelly
I miss you too shells.
Post a Comment