Monday, October 5, 2009

Meshing

Today, the oldest of my latest charges sat at the table staring at me, refusing to either drink his milk, or eat his yogurt. He's perfectly capable of doing both, but for some reason just doesn't. So he was staring at me as if he was trying to figure me out- the strange lady that shows up everyday and forces him to use a spoon and fork, and then takes him to school where she tells him "Good listening means looking at people in the eyes and following directions the first time with a happy heart." I guess I would think I'm nuts, too.

All that to say its been hard to mesh with this family. We get along for the sake of the kids, but its clear that ours is a professional relationship only. It's rare that I don't mesh with people. I can usually fit in and find a place, even if on the fringes that makes me feel like I belong. But not meshing is a good place to be, perhaps because I find that I am relying less on myself and others and more on the grace that's given to me every day to my job to the best of my ability, while feeling constantly uncomfortable around other people.

No comments: