Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mothering Little Boys: Sewing my own Crib sheets

Lev and I started out his new life together with 4 crib sheets. It was quickly apparent that was not enough. Learning to sew my own crib sheets (super easy and fast) has been a huge boon in my current phase of motherhood.

No one warned me that baby boy pee pees are weapons. I have lost track of how many times I have been sprayed by a little boy WMD. I've tried to use dixie cups, those little triangle cone things, nothing works. Fortunately, as time passes, I've learned how to dodge and then simply change a crib sheet a lot. I gave in and made three more, since I'm too lazy to go to Target, and buy more. It was easy, and took about the same amount of time as packing up, going to Target, hemming and hawing over stupid baby patterns I dont even like, standing in line, putting L back in the car and driving home. Tally: 7 crib sheets.

And then there is the fact that Lev has never met a disposable diaper than could contain him. We use cloth 90% of the time, but Lev leaked through every night, no matter how many stuffers I put in his diaper. So I gave up and put a disposable on. No good. He still leaks through. So I resigned myself to the fact that the child has a rediculously smaller bladder and/or very efficient kidneys and made a couple more crib sheets and kept going. The boy can pee as much as an adult. And it's OK. The doctor told me some babies are like that. Tally 9 crib sheets.

And the drool. I simply had no idea. It's constant. If drool were drinkable, I would bottle it and sell it, and make millions assuming that people would buy it ( they drink bat guana... and you know what is? Poop, people. Nutritious poop.) And did you know that if drool gets on the floor while you carry your baby around for some tummy time it stains? True. Projectile spit up is real, too. Too bad a crib sheet doesnt solve that problem, or I'd make more. In fact, I did make another becuase I had just enough left from making his nappies and 9 is just so close, yet so far. Tally: 10 crib sheets.

And I've used every single one of them. And it's all been worth it. Even the drool stains on the floor. His smiley face in his soaked crib sheet every morning it absolutely worth it.

No comments: